So as you know, my goal is to make a career out of dance. However at the moment, I'm working in something completely different..... microbiology! Something that you never would associate with a dancer, but hey ho, there's always a first.
It's a good job and the people I work with are really, really great, but I can't help sitting at my desk and staring out the window thinking...
"Why am I here? I should be on the stage staring up at a spotlight, not in a lab staring down at a petri dish".
The one thing that the lab job does offer though, is a stable and monthly income. Something that dancing doesn't always do.... unless you teach, or you're lucky enough to secure yourself a really long contract.
But, as a lot of people have told me before, I must follow my heart..... my heart well and truly beats for the stage.
So, I have made it my mission to make sure I can get myself a decent dancing job, the dream has always been the marvellous West End of London or even better Broadway but as dance seems to be ever increasingly popular because of all the televised dance shows that are out, such as, So You Think You Can Dance and Got To Dance, the competition for the business is huge, which makes it a tough job when you go to auditions.
The other dream is to get onto a cruise ship, but not on my own, both me and my partner Alison want to do it together. Go travel the world, dancing our way through each country. We have been just recently completed our showreel, which can be seen in my previous post, so now the job of sending it out to agents and cruise companies begins. Alison is such a determined person and so I am, so I don't think we will stop until we have done at least one contract on a cruise. As I said before, there is a lot of competition out there, but Alison and I have been dancing together for a long time, and in that time have worked up a strong trust between us which has enabled us to learn some pretty impressive lifts, which I think and hope that not a lot of people could do.
We shall find out!
Just today we have booked ourselves into an audition which is on Tuesday (31st January), for a company called Belinda King. They are looking for dancing couples, so hopefully we are what they're looking for! I will keep you posted!
No comments:
Post a Comment