Monday, 30 January 2012

Are they actually warming up... or showing off?

On Saturday I had a very last minute audition in London, so I got on the train and made my way to Dance Attic in Fulham.  There were a lot of boys that had turned up for this one so straight away everyone is eyeing up the competition and seeing who is the biggest built, who is the most flexible, who is dressed the most eye-catching.  I probably find the worst part of auditions is the warm up, because it's so competitive.  All around the room were guys laying in box splits and just having casual conversations and I couldn't help but wonder, are they actually warming up... or showing off?  As soon as you walk into the room, the other auditionees glance over to judge whoever has just entered as a new contender.  It's all a bit tense!

So the audition finally got to a start after a long, drawn out warm up, and we got learning a funky commercial routine.  Now I'm not really a very streety/commercial dancer, so straight away I'm having to concentrate even harder on trying to make the moves look good.  I feel so much more in my element at a musical theatre audition.  Oh by the way, this audition was for backing dancers!  After about half an hour, the routine had been taught out, and the first the time ever, I wasn't really enjoying the audition.  It was just not my style.  To the point where I considered walking out and not even bothering to audition.  But I thought to myself 'No Billy, you have come all this way on the train, spent your money on the train fare, what have you got to lose?'  So I decided to stay.
When it come round to my time to audition in front of the choreographer I just wasn't feeling the same energy and competitive adrenaline that I normally do feel.  I think that showed in my audition as well, and needless to say, I didn't get the job.
Afterwards, I didn't regret my decision to go for the audition because at the end of the day, it's all experience and confidence building.  It did make me realise that maybe I'm not made for backing dancing.... perhaps I am just a theatre show kinda guy?

Me and Alison have our audition tomorrow for Belinda King, it's all very exciting for us, as it's our very first couple audition!  It'll be nice to go to an audition with someone and be able to share the nerves with her.  Tonight we will be deciding what we're both going to wear as that is a very big part of going to an audition.  You need to dress to impress!  For boys it's quite easy, clean shaven, neat and tidy hair, best to wear a vest top to show off your build, perhaps a very small amount of tan, but you don't want to cake yourself in it and go looking like you have been well and truly tango'd, just like my friend here: 


For girls on the other hand, it's all about big hair, gorgeous makeup, a sun-kissed tan, sparkling teeth and wearing something that shows off their figures and elongates their legs.
Also not forgetting to always take a copy of our CV and headshot.

Just typing out this blog makes me get butterflies thinking about it!

I will keep you posted on how we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment